Protecting Children in the Catholic Church
The Perth Catholic Archdiocese is committed to the safety and security of all children and young people.
The Diocese recognises the need to protect children, young people and vulnerable adults and aims to achieve this through the Safeguarding Project. The Project is child focused and informed by a fundamental belief that children have the right to physical and psychological safety at all times.
Policies and procedures have been put in place throughout the parish and all clergy, staff and volunteers are required to comply with the policy, procedures and practices outlined in the project. Trained Safeguarding Officers have been appointed your parish and their role is to assist you in all matters pertaining to concerns regarding the safety of children and vulnerable adults.
Roles and Responsibilities of Parish Safeguarding Officers
The role of Parish Safeguarding Officers is key to ensuring that parishes meet the Archdiocese of Perth’s safeguarding responsibilities in all aspects of service that they undertake. They will be required to:
- be a source of support, advice and information on all matters of safeguarding children and vulnerable adults in the parish
- be the first point of contact for children, vulnerable adults and other members of the parish community regarding suspicions of abuse and other safeguarding concerns
- respond to all safeguarding concerns in line with the Archdiocese’s Safeguarding Policy and Procedures manual, reporting these concerns to the Safeguarding Project Coordinator and/or other authorities, as needed
- keep the Parish Priest informed of all concerns, responses and activities relating to safeguarding children and other members of the parish community
- raise the profile of safeguarding in the parish, ensuring that it remains a high priority, and report on any issues or concerns with the implementation of the safeguarding policy and procedures
- assist with proactive measures within parishes to safeguard children
- ensure that all statutory requirements are met within parishes in respect to the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults.
Cathedral Parish Safeguarding Officers
Ph: 1300 011 102
Janet Voon – firstname.lastname@example.org
Anne Engelbrecht – email@example.com
Josephine Cabagyo – firstname.lastname@example.org
Lyn Schwan – email@example.com
Stephanie Schenk – firstname.lastname@example.org
Roles and Responsibilities of Parish Volunteers
Please note that all special ministers, acolytes, choir members and catechists MUST read the Archdiocese’s Safeguarding Handbook and complete Form 2 and Form 18 of the Handbook. The latest versions are accessible at the Archdiocesan Safeguarding Website.
For further information on the project contact:
Andrea Musulin – Safeguarding Project Coordinator
|Address||29 Victoria Square, Perth WA 6000|
|Phone||08 9221 7762|
|Fax||08 9325 7459|
The Archdiocese of Perth Safeguarding Office has resources online to assist parents.
The National Association for Prevention of Child abuse and Neglect (napcan.org.au) has brochures for parents and carers on its site.